Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The Udder Truth

(Pardon the punny title.)
    I was warned by family and friends that breastfeeding would hurt. Then I took a class on breastfeeding and was told that if I was doing things correctly, breastfeeding wouldn't hurt at all. The truth was something in between with shades of grey.
    The unfortunate thing about breastfeeding is that it's impossible to know what your experience will be like without a baby. The important thing to remember is that everyone is new to the process of breastfeeding and that you, the baby and your body will eventually get the hang of it. The good news is that like everthing else, breastfeeding is well worth the effort.
    The oxytocin produced by breastfeeding helped me get back in to my jeans within 2 1/2 weeks of giving birth and my pre-pregnancy weight within a month and a half. I prefer to nurse her if I can and, unlike Adrian, I don't always have to warm up a bottle to feed her. There's less mess and clean up afterwards, and it's a sure way of calming Ayla down in a pinch. Plus, I'm a travelling buffet; always open, and oh so convenient. The benefits of breastfeeding are endless and have proven more than worthwhile but the first month was tough. I set myself a goal and it helped. I told myself that I would commit to breastfeeding for at least three months minimum. At three months, I'd reevaluate and decide whether I wanted to continue, and every three months after that. After several weeks (about 3-4 weeks) of breastfeeding, Adrian and I had figured out a schedule that worked for us, Ayla and I had gotten the hang of it, and I realized that using a breast pump was not only an option, but for me, a necessity and a lifesaver.
    Now, Ayla is officially three months as of yesterday and I'm dealing with a new challenge. I was producing more than enough milk even considering her increased consumption as of a few weeks ago, but within the last few weeks, I've actually started to produce less. Whether it's stress, lack of demand, or just one of those crazy biological things no one can explain, I have produced less milk per day than I was a month ago. Despite my best attempts, I can't seem to get back to the point where I was before. So now, I have to reevaluate not only whether to continue to breastfeed but the role that breastmilk will continue to play in the nutrition choices for Ayla. She's just about old enough to start introducing cereal and there's always supplements to help increase production, but the question now is, Is it still worth it? At least for now, the breast pads, not sleeping on my stomach, painful letdown and engorgement are all still worth the health and financial benefits of breastfeeding, but more than ever I appreciate how and why some women make the choice to stop breastfeeding after a few months. Like so many other things, it's a personal, lifestyle choice and no one can make it except for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment